Half Day Fatima Tour from Lisbon, the perfect tour for those who want to take the paths of faith with a visit and understanding of the entire Sanctuary of Fatima and also visit the place where the Shepherds were born a few kilometers from Fatima.
Hotel / Apartment, Lisbon
8:00 AM or 01:00 PM
The Shrine of Fatima is located 120 kilometers north of Lisbon, considered by many to be one of the largest Marian shrines in the Catholic world, receives millions of visitors from around the world each year.
At this same place on May 13, 1917, our Lady appeared to three children of extremely humble families who were engaged in herding, on the same day he said that he would return every month at the same time in the next six months she told them to pray Rosary every day and that a chapel should be built there in honor of Our Lady Mary.
The predictions materialized until the last apparition on October 13, where it is estimated that there were 50 to 70 thousand people witnessed a phenomenon that became famous as the “miracle of the sun” where the sun turned on itself as a light in repeated motions.
After leaving Lisbon early in the morning he will find there three places of interest, you can attend a mass and then visit, the Apparitions Chapel of the Apparitions, the first Chapel to be built immediately following the apparitions occupying a prominent place, not by size or grandeur, but yes by the location, practically in the center of the Sanctuary.
In one extreme we have the Basilica of Our Lady of the Rosary, begun to be built in 1928 in Neo Baroque style, it houses today the tombs of the children, but also the tomb of Sister Lucia who passed away in 2005, at the other end we have the Basilica of Santissima Trindade, built in 2007 with more than 8000 seats and 40,000 m² of area was designed by the Greek architect Alexandros Tombazis, a modern and quite imposing church.
Aljustrel, about 2 kms away from the shrine was the place where the three shepherd children who witnessed Our Lady, theres name´s ; Lucia de Jesus and her cousins, Francisco and Jacinta Marto, the single-storey cottages formerly inhabited by the little shepherds are very similar in terms of architecture and simplicity and are open to the general public without any cost.
The house inhabited by the brother and sister, Jacinta and Francisco was built in 1888 and is located around 200 m from the house of their cousin, Lucia, built in 1885, on both houses its possible to see displaying agricultural implements, cooking utensils, clothes and furniture, in order to demonstrate the everyday lives of local mountain dwellers in the early 20th century.